Thursday, June 28, 2007

A fishy Falcon

And so, the first day at work begun.

Since they need people in the Seafood department, I was dumped there immediately, even though I was supposed to be in "Perishables", where I restock butter, cheese, milk and all that jazz.

Joys of being a newbie.

However, it's not all bad.

Firstly, I have a great supervisor. He enjoys using slang and what not, but there is a major difference between what I had in this supermarket, than what I first received in the cafe.

I felt welcomed.

In the cafe, it's as though I must prove myself worthy to do that crappy job.

While I had to pick up the initiative to get into the kitchen and ask the boss what I could do back then, and where they just threw me into the job back then, this one was wayyyyyyy better.

For one, they took me a tour of the place, made sure I had all my paperwork done, and then showed me how things are done. The work itself was pretty much dummy proof, with the steps being crystal clear on the first explanation.

All I had to do is to pick up the fish the customers want, punch in the numbers on the scale, wrap it up, and I'm good to go.

And being the absolute newb, my folding skills were terrible (I was never truly artistically inclined anyway. C5 was the best I got). However, unlike the cafe where I got scolded on the first day of my job (It was only later did the cafe owner remember that I was new), they were all cool here. The supervisor and the IC showed me how to do it with a pen, and I practised it.

Within the hour, my folding skills were perfect.

However, I found that there is a stark difference between the service provided here, and the one I got back in Singapore.

I remember once when I was buying a fish head in NTUC Tampines Mall. As usual, that supermarket seems to have been taken control of by aunties who can't win in Mahjong or something. When she didn't hear that I wanted her to cut my fish head, the person who served me got all annoyed and said "问了你要不要切liao".

Mmm.

What we learned here is, "Serve people as you would want to be served."

Because service is a major part of the supermarket, despite it being seemingly not so. If customers hate you, they will avoid your shop, as I did when I got treated rudely at the Ipswich Woolworths.

But hey, that's in the past. Moreover, it's saddening to note that I get more of that treatment in Singapore than here in Aussie.

However, when you do a good job, there is no better satisfaction than being appreciated for it.

A customer said this after I handed her a Salmon.

"It's so nice to see a cheerful face."

That definitely made my day.

---

Song of (whatever) changed to crimson annihilate by Nanase Hikaru, from the Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica Original Soundtrack. The anime failed (very very hard. And I had such high expectations when I saw the webpage and the cast. Ayako and Mizuki? And it STILL failed? wth!), but the music of the anime is fantastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home